With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
...waiting for the new topics to show up ;^).
Good job for sure erickat. I appreciate having things clearly spelled out, esp. the items that can result in a viner getting skipped. "No response in 3 - 4 days" is helpful, and setting a deadline was something that had prevented me from getting started on anything like this (well, that and the fact that I'm still fairly new here and didn't want to be pushy). The item regarding checking in periodically is good, too - several of the currently missing vines are involved there, viners mailing out vines to others who are known to be missing, or being at the end and not checking back for new signups. I don't think these guidelines will have a negative effect on the playground here, although as one viner stated a couple of months ago:
"I've read some pretty restrictive rules on other sites & even though we have some hiccups here now & again, it's a much more free & open environment"
I think the environment here is safe ;^)
I have a sigfile! --> www.kindveggieburritos.com
and I'll work on getting them posted by the end of the day.
I've done a brief edit on the matter of the Vinedex, which represents truly heroic effort on badger's part.
There was a note on the old "new vines" topic about labeling the packages - but I would rather have documentation about what vine it is & set lists etc.. on the INSIDE of the package - to help prevent theft (not an indictment of our US postal workers - but decorating the outside can lead to temptation). As for keeping track of the vines, I use an excel spreadsheet to track vines. Sample Vine Tracking Spredsheet In this sample, I have deleted everyone's name & address - which i collect through the vining process (for vining purposes only - so i don't have to constantly ask for addresses). It consists of 4 tabs
Tab 1 - expected vines (sort by expected date & update frequently)
Tab 2 - completed vines (copy from Tab1 to here as they get done - for historical purposes)
Tab 3 - names & addresses
Tab 4 - a copy of the vinedex (for local reference)
Tab 5 - vines I have started (again - for historical purposes)
with all the time we put into keeping the music flowing, it only makes sense to do it in an organized way & keep track of things. Note that Tabs 1 & 2 have url links back to this site, for easy status checking. It's really not much effort at all - as you're sitting there burning the discs, you just update the spreadsheet.
Nice way to start off the new topic. Thanks.
Thanks to Trevor, also, although my taste runs to pre 1981-82 stuff. OK, call me a snob, I can take it.
"Let there be songs to fill the air."
In honor of this wonderful group, I offer up the following shows.
All are from 1970, there is some scratchiness to some of the tracks but all the shows warm my soul.
As always all are offered in both SHN/FLAC and WAV.
Please do not sign up before this vine is planted in it's own topic.
Enjoy, long live the vineyard.
New York, NY
Disc 1 (63:08)
1. Zarathustra introduction--> (1:09)
2. Mason's Children (6:12)
3. Casey Jones (4:27)
4. Black Peter (12:48)
5. Mama Tried--> (2:39)
6. Hard To Handle (4:58)
7. Cumberland Blues (5:49)
8. Cryptical Envelopment--> (2:01)
9. Drums--> (3:56)
10. The Other One%--> (10:14)
11. Cryptical Envelopment--> (1:59)
12. Cosmic Charlie// (6:49)
Disc 2 (46:14)
1. Uncle John's Band--> (7:19)
2. High Time (7:24)
3. Dire Wolf (4:19)
4. //Easy Wind (7:20)
5. China Cat Sunflower//(-->) (3:36)
6. //I Know You Rider (2:02)
7. Good Lovin' (7:30)
8. Me & My Uncle (3:05)
9. stage banter (1:37)
10. Monkey & The Engineer (1:57)
Disc 3 (72:15)
Late Show continued:
1. stage banter/tuning (1:34)
2. Dark Star//(-->) (29:59)
3. //St. Stephen--> (5:13)
4. The Eleven--> (12:20)
5. Lovelight% (23:07)
Grateful Dead - January 10, 1970
Golden Hall - San Diego, CA
San Diego Community Concourse
d1t01 - Stage Banter/Tuning
d1t02 - China Cat Sunflower ->
d1t03 - I Know You Rider
d1t04 - Me And My Uncle
d1t05 - Dire Wolf
d1t06 - Hard To Handle
d1t07 - Casey Jones
d1t08 - Mason's Children ->
d1t09 - Black Peter (Missing but can be found on Disc 7 The Golden Road (1965 - 1973))
d1t10 - Good Lovin'
d1t11 - Cold Rain And Snow
d2t01 - Turn On Your Lovelight
d2t02 - Announcements
Disc 1 (51:49)
1. Don't Ease Me In (3:10)
2. //Friend Of The Devil (3:28)
3. stage banter (1:59)
4. Dire Wolf (3:54)
5. stage banter (3:35)
6. Dark Hollow (3:07)
7. //Candyman (4:45)
8. //Black Peter (6:46)
9. //How Long Blues (3:23)
10. Deep Elem Blues% (3:22)
11. Cumberland Blues* (5:13)
12. //New Speedway Boogie* (9:01)
Disc 2 (75:07)
1. Casey Jones (5:05)
2. El Paso (6:05)
3. China Cat Sunflower--> (5:24)
4. I Know You Rider (5:09)
5. //Easy Wind (2:52)
6. Me & My Uncle (3:31)
7. Cryptical Envelopment--> (2:07)
8. Drums--> (7:10)
9. The Other One--> (10:12)
10. Cryptical Envelopment--> (5:18)
11. Cosmic Charlie (8:23)
12. Good Lovin'% (6:18)
13. Uncle John's Band (7:26)
*with David Crosby on acoustic (Garcia is on electric)
Grateful Dead - July 16, 1970
Euphoria Ballroom - San Rafael, CA
d1t01 - //China Cat Sunflower ->
d1t02 - I Know You Rider ->
d1t03 - Candyman
d1t04 - Turn On Your Lovelight
Great work on the new vines section you guys, thanks alot. If its alright I'd like to offer up this one. There is no post-jerry dead in vindex.
Thursday, July 10, 2003
Red Rocks Amphitheater
Neumann u89i(Subcard/NOS)->Lunatec V3@16/48khz w/ANSR on
DA-20->VX Pocket->Wavelab(resampled to 44.1khz)->CDWAV->Flac 16
Disc 1: Set I
2. Help On the Way->
4. Here Comes Sunshine->
5. Hard To Handle
6. Down the Road Again->
7. Tennessee Jed->
8. Broken Arrow
Disc 2: Set I cont.
1. Dark Star->
4. New Minglewood Blues
5. Eyes Of the World->
6. Dark Star Jam->
Disc 3: Set II cont.
1. China Doll->
2. The Wheel->
3. Dark Start->
4. Throwing Stones->
5. Franklin's Tower
6. Encore Break
7. Organ Donor Rap
8. Loose Lucy
"You know the one thing we need is a left handed monkey wrench....."
Thanks all! Marye, Ericat and all the others that had a hand in this. It is truly a privilege to be able to collect and share music here. Just 6 months ago I only dreamed that I could have such amazing quality and such an abundance of hours. It was seriously a dream. I am GRATEFUL. Vine on!
"I had a hard run, runnin' from your window."
(from Hal R - for posterity sake)
wait one more thing
We forgot to mention how listening to vines will open your senses to the wonders of nature; give you the keys to universal knowledge; open the gates of mystic revelation; expand cosmic consciousness; empower your inner Buddha and Christ natures; have you become one with the Tao; grant you inner peace; lead to new friendships; put you in blissful states; plant a permanent smile on your face; give you a huge sense of humor and wit; make you shake your bones throughout the day and just plain be filled with joy and innate coolness as you groove through life.
On the other hand, never mind.
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.